Which Cars Are Least Likely to Have Catalytic Converters Stolen?

By Slyng Team

Updated Feb 18, 2024

In Learn Feb, 2024

Have you recently purchased a car? If you have, there's a possible chance you will never find the catalytic converter of your vehicle missing because they aren't quite the eye candy for most burglars. 

Table of Contents

    But, while there's a 90% chance that a burglar might skip thinking about taking out your car's catalytic unit, there's still a 10% chance they may find it enticing to take it out from your vehicle and be on their way. 

    Now, several questions might come to your mind, such as, what is a catalytic converter? Why is a catalytic converter essential, and which cars are on the top list of getting their catalytic converter stolen? 

    Here's an article to help you answer that query. 

    READ: Do Electric Cars Need Coolant?

    What Does a Catalytic Converter Do? 

    catalytic converter

    As the name implies, a catalytic converter takes the harmful emissions that exhaust from your tailpipe and changes them into less toxic chemicals before they're finally released into the air. By undergoing a catalytic process, the catalytic converter simply reduces the amount of carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, and hydrocarbon found in the exhaust fumes.

    It's one of the reasons why many states want a catalytic converter installed within their vehicles. It leads to better air quality and a more sustainable environment. As far as the functioning of the unit is concerned, catalytic converters normally use a honeycomb mesh made of precious metals, which usually include metals such as palladium, rhodium & platinum.

    What Cars Often Get Their Catalytic Converters Stolen? 

    Here's a list of cars that are least likely to have their catalytic converter stolen:

    1. Toyota Prius (2001-2021)- The Toyota Prius is America's favorite hybrid car, and it seems that burglars aren't interested in this type of vehicle. Very few reports of the catalytic converter being stolen from a Prius.

    2. Ford F-Series pickups (1985-2021) - The Ford F-Series trucks have been America's best-selling vehicles for over 40 years, and it looks like the burglars don't go for stealing the vehicle. Still, they would take their chances with the catalytic converter.

    3. Honda Accord (1989-2020) - The all-new Honda Accord is a hot cake in the market, and it is one of America's favorite family cars. But it seems like the car burglars don't have an appetite for this car as there have been very few reports of the catalytic converter being stolen from a Honda Accord.

    4. Chevrolet Impala (2006-2020) - The Chevrolet Impala is a full-size sedan that's been around since the 1950s. It's one of America's most iconic cars, and the burglars seem to have an eye for this model because of the catalytic converter installed in them. They are expensive.

    5. Chevrolet Equinox (2005-2021) - The Chevrolet Equinox is a mid-size SUV that's been on the market since 2005. It's a popular choice for families, and this car also has a high-end catalytic converter. Burglars who know the vehicle can easily steal it without hassle.

    6. Honda CR-V (1997-2020) - The all-new Honda CR-V is a compact SUV that's been on the market since 1997. While the SUV has fewer reports of being stolen, the catalytic converter installed, on the other hand, is a powerful unit and an eye candy for burglars.

    7. Toyota Camry (1987-2019) - The Toyota Camry is one of the most popular cars in America and has been on the market since 1987. The car is known for its durability and comfort, but the catalytic converter installed in them is also a target for burglars.

    8. Chrysler 200 (2011-2017) - Chrysler is a high-end car manufacturer, and the Chrysler 200 is a mid-size sedan that's been on the market since 2011. The car is known for its luxurious features and design, and it seems that the catalytic converter installed in them is also a target for burglars.

    Many of the cars for which we have collected the information are from CarFax.com and NICB. They are the most commonly targeted vehicles on the market list for stolen catalytic converters. 

    Since the Toyota Prius is one such model with two catalytic converters, one for each exhaust manifold, it is known to be a safe vehicle against catalytic converter theft. However, it is one of the most commonly targeted vehicles for the same reason. 

    READ: Transportation Trivia: What is Freeway & What is a Highway?

    Frequently Asked Questions 

    How Much Does It Cost to Replace a Catalytic Converter? 

    Going for a catalytic converter replacement will cost anywhere between $300 to #3,000, depending on the make or model you drive. The cost estimate is provided only for the unit, excluding the amount required for labor that goes into installing it. The labor cost can go from $70 to $130 per hour.

    What Safety Measures Can I Take to Secure My Catalytic Converter? 

    You can do several things to ensure your catalytic converter becomes less attractive to burglars.

    Get Your Catalytic Converter Etched: Many states offer free etching programs that place a unique identifier on your catalytic converter. This makes it much easier to track and recover if it's ever stolen.

    Install a Catalytic Converter Lock: Several aftermarket locks available can help secure your catalytic converter to your vehicle. These can be effective deterrents because they're not easily removed without the key.

    Park in a Well-Lit Area: Parking your car in a well-lit area can deter thieves because they don't want to be caught in the act.

    Install a Security System: If you have an alarm system or GPS tracker installed on your vehicle, it can help deter thieves and aid in the recovery of your catalytic converter if it's ever stolen.

    READ: Do Electric Cars Need Servicing?

    Concluding Thoughts 

    Catalytic converter theft is on the rise, and it's essential to be aware of the potential risk if you own a vehicle with one installed. You can do a few things to help deter thieves, but the best way to protect your investment is to be aware of the problem and keep an eye on your vehicle. If you think your catalytic converter has been stolen, report it to the police so they can investigate.